Thought of the Day

My Huckleberry Prayer

Dear God,

You gave me the knowledge, resources and desire to plant these seeds. I pray that you will help them grow to your glory. And thank you for making huckleberries, we love them.

Amen

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Update

Sorry that it's been awhile since I have updated, things have been crazy and I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and blog, although there have been times that I have wanted too. Also sorry that I don't have any current pictures up at the moment. I will try and get some up when I have more time.

So a bunch of things have happened since my last post. In general the plants are doing okay. They haven't died yet so I'm encouraged. However, I have been trying to find the right watering and fertilizing regimen and decide if the plants are in a good spot in the yard.

I keep the plants up against the house which is very sunny most of the day. So far this has been the ideal place. I tried moving them to beneath the tree in our yard. I I thought that the plants would still get sun but they'd be shaded a little bit so that they wouldn't scorch. The area I found is awfully shady and while that did not really hurt the plants I worried that it might eventually so I moved the plants back to the side of the house.

As for fertilizing I have found that mixing the compost with the coffee grounds works the best so right now I am fertilizing all the plants a few times a week with they mixture.

WE had quite a bit of rain this past weekend and I think the plants flourished a bit in it. This is encouraging because now I don't have to worry about accidentally over watering the plants. I have also begun to add Downy softener into the water. This is a tip that I learned from a friend who found that watering with Downy water keeps the bugs away. It doesn't hurt the plants as Downy is made with biodegradable ingredients. I began doing this because I found that some of the leaves have been nibbled. It seems to work because I sprayed some on the plants yesterday a bug in one of the pots went scurrying.

I think that's all for now. I will try to have some pictures next time. As always I am open to suggestions whether huckleberry related or just basic gardening tips. I'll mention you in the blog post if I use anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment