Thought of the Day

My Huckleberry Prayer

Dear God,

You gave me the knowledge, resources and desire to plant these seeds. I pray that you will help them grow to your glory. And thank you for making huckleberries, we love them.

Amen

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Not What I expected (But that's okay)

So I went out to water the plants yesterday and noticed that there are some more plants sprouting in the pots. Three of the four pots apparently had at least one more (two in one of them) seeds that have sprouted.
I am not too worried about this, however, there is only one pot where I'll be able to get the new plant into it's own pot. the other ones, the plants have gotten so big that I don't want to risk hurting the root structure by taking out the new plant.

If anyone was wondering just what I expected, here you go. I was expecting either that the plants died (THANK GOD THEY DIDN'T!!) or that the plants would grow alright in their own pots and that I would not need to move them into bigger pots until they matured more in later years. Now I am thinking I need to get some bigger pots because some of the plants appear ready to crawl out of them.

One other thing that I really was not expecting was the plants to start blooming. According to my research and Barney (pg 24), huckleberry plants aren't supposed to start flowering until 3-5 years. I am not expecting any fruit this year or next year for that matter. However, I am certain that one of the plants has a flower bud coming out.

I don't exactly know what this is supposed to mean, I'll let you know when I find out later.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, the plants shown in these photos are a species we normally consider a pestiferous weed, mallow (probably malva neglecta, or common mallow). No huckleberries will be forthcoming from these plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like plain old button weed. Another name is pig weed. Horses and pigs enjoy eating them.

    ReplyDelete