Thought of the Day

My Huckleberry Prayer

Dear God,

You gave me the knowledge, resources and desire to plant these seeds. I pray that you will help them grow to your glory. And thank you for making huckleberries, we love them.

Amen

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Let's Try This Again

So, after half a year of, moping, self-pitying, strategizing and planning about how I'm going to do this, I've decided to try this again.
I frequently get e-mails from the International Wild Huckleberry Association. I get notices about anything ranging from news articles, recipes and blog posts my other people such as myself who are endeavoring to grow wild huckleberries where they live. One of these posts caught my attention and I ended up e-mailing the person who posted it. We've been in contact and he's shared with me some of his experience. So I thought I would give his ideas a try.

His advice was to plant the seeds in extremely moist soil and cover the container with plastic wrap to create and keep a moist environment. Then they need to stay in a mostly shady area.

For the container he suggested a metal can like a coffee can because it will hold the materials well and get be put directly in the ground so that there will be no disturbing of the root system (which can really hurt the plant if not kill it) and it will eventually rust away. I don't plan on putting the pot in the ground as this area is so non acidic that my plants to have much chance of growing in the native ground. However I do plan on eventually moving them to a bigger pot. I ended up getting a biodegradable plant holder and wrapped it in a plastic bag to avoid drainage. My potting soil is a mixture of peat moss and garden soil.

Hopefully if I keep it under the right conditions, I will get a mossy fungus form in the soil which is ideal for the seeds (at least according to my source)

I will keep you all up to date on how this is working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment