Thought of the Day

My Huckleberry Prayer

Dear God,

You gave me the knowledge, resources and desire to plant these seeds. I pray that you will help them grow to your glory. And thank you for making huckleberries, we love them.

Amen

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Plant Transfer 1

So Today I transfered one of my plants into a bigger pot. I plan to do the other two that need it soon. However, I want to make sure I did it right with this plant.

I did the usual routine to prepare the pot. I put the last of the soil that I have followed by about half a pound of espresso grounds and a nice amount of the organic fertilizer that I have. I didn't have quite as much soil a I wanted to I poured the old soil from some of the pots that didn't grow anything. Then I mixed it up and it was ready.

The next thing I did was go around the edge of the pot with the spade. I was trying to get it so that the root ball came out as smoothly as it could. It worked for the most part as it separated the ball from the side of the pot. But I had a bit of a problem getting it out of the pot. I didn't want to accidentally pull the plant out of the soil so I ended up up ending the pot. This was successful in getting the plant and it's soil out of the pot cleanly.

I hit a snag trying to put the plant in the new pot. I didn't dig the hole in the pot deep enough to fit the plant in so I had to take it back out and then re dig the hole before I repositioned the plant.

In the end I got the plant in alright. The only thing I'm a little worried about is that the root ball broke up a little when repositioning the plant and since I turned it upside down, the leaves are drooping a bit. I'm hoping that when it settles in some it will bounce back. Nevertheless, I am going to keep an eye on it so that if I did make a fatal mistake (for the plant) I won't repeat it with the other plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment